SubjectRe: hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError }
Date
Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 02:09:56 +0530
> Jaswinder Singh Rajput <jaswinderlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I added extra IDE drive I get similar messages like below so I replace
>> it another drive but I am still getting similar error messages on
>> 2.6.29-rc2-tip:
>>
>> hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>> hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
>> LBAsect=208845, sector=0
>
> Uncorrectable Error is an error from the drive, not the kernel. Looks
> like you have bad sectors on that drive.

He noted that he tried another drive, so unless he has a pile of bad drives it's
probably something else. Being "hdb" may indicate that it's connected to the
same controller as "hda" and might not be jumpered for slave. Or it might be a
bad cable, a controller which doesn't like two drives, a dubious power
connector, etc. Or if he doesn't have an hda, perhaps the kernel doesn't like a
secondary drive without a primary.

Being hdb instead of sdb with a new kernel indicates he is using a config which
may get a lot less testing these days, perhaps?

In any case, I doubt he had two bad drives, so something else is more likely.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

  Last update: 2009-01-25 22:03    [W:0.094 / U:0.028 seconds]