SubjectRe: libata, devm_*, and MSI ?
Robert Hancock wrote:
> Mark Lord wrote:
>> Michael Ellerman wrote:
>>> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 20:02 -0800, Grant Grundler wrote:
>> ..
..
>>> The kernel shouldn't let you enable MSI if that's the case, ie.
>>> pci_enable_msi() should fail.
>> ..
>> Exactly. So it shouldn't be that, then.
>>
>>> It might still be worth looking at the quirks though, in case there's
>>> one for a previous revision of your bridge or something.

>>> And can you plug something directly into the PCIe bus? If so does MSI
>>> work on that?
>> ..
>>
>> Yup. PCIe cards have no problem with MSI in that box.
>>
>> More later..
>
> What kind of PCI-X bridge does that machine have? I know some AMD
> HyperTransport to PCI-X bridges have broken MSI, but those should be
> blacklisted already in the kernel..
..

Okay, I'm back looking at this now. In the interim, the box has undergone
a complete re-install, and I think the original boot logs are gone for good.

Now (with 2.6.28.1), the boot code identifies a quirk, and pci_enable_msi()
does indeed fail where it once succeeded. So all is well, but I don't know
why it wasn't working correctly earlier.

Oh well.

Cheers

  Last update: 2009-01-23 19:13    [W:0.138 / U:0.208 seconds]