SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Squashfs pull request for 2.6.29

* Kyle McMartin <kyle@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 03:04:57PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Why does it need to be upstream for someone to cut their teeth helping
> > > out?
> > Because people don't know where to look if it is out-of-the tree.
> > Seriously, if it can't be easily found, it's not fixed up. Proof of
> > that is the hundreds of out-of-tree drivers that I have found over the
> > past months.
>
> What about the hundreds of utterly crap drivers we have *right now* in
> the kernel? Just because something is distributed with the kernel does
> *not* mean it will get cleaned up. There's hundreds of counterexamples
> to that. If you think moving some of them to drivers/staging to increase
> the "visibility" to people looking for low hanging fruit, I can generate
> a list...

that is true and it does not contradict the purpose and intention of
drivers/staging/ though - it extends it.

We could create drivers/staging/in/ and drivers/staging/out/.

So instead of marking drivers CONFIG_BROKEN we could move them to
drivers/staging/out/ - and if they dont get 'saved' within a kernel
release they will be zapped for good. That is more gradual than a sudden
'remove a driver completely' action.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-01-23 00:45    [W:0.065 / U:0.264 seconds]