SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Squashfs pull request for 2.6.29
From
Hi Ingo,

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
> "real review" only becomes easy if the code _is reviewable to begin with_:
> if it is written in standard coding patterns where we almost
> sub-consciously recognize bad constructs and bad practices.
>
> I've seen it time and again that if the code is cleaned up visually, real
> review and real improvements follow eventually. It's a gradual process and
> you just cannot do "real review" efficiently without what you call the
> "checkpatch crap".

Agreed. When I looked at the pile of crap in drivers/staging/winbond
at first, it was more or less impossible to even say what the hell the
driver was doing. That was because (a) there were tons of obfuscating
wrappers carried over from Windows driver APIs and (b) there's so much
dead code it's not even funny!

So yeah, doing a "real review" on that monster before we get the
basics right would probably be a complete waste of time.

Pekka

  Last update: 2009-01-22 23:27    [W:0.126 / U:0.184 seconds]