    > From: Patrick Ohly <>
    > Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:36:04 +0100
    > > David, do you think it is ready to get included?
    > Resubmit the patch set before asking such questions.

    Okay. I didn't want to spam the lists with just rebased patches if there
    were more fundamental objections against the current approach. I hope
    that this is no longer the case, so I'll post the current, rebased patch
    set as follow-up to this mail (because the description in the orginal
    mail of this thread still applies).

    I personally consider the core infrastructure patches ready. If there
    are further comments I'd be happy to work on those, of course. The igb
    driver patches are more experimental, please don't include them.

    I rebased the patches against net-next-2.6 as of today.

    I tested them with the modified PTPd with and without hardware support
    on x86. With 64 bit kernel and user space both works. With 32 bit user
    space on a 64 bit kernel software-only time stamping works (thanks to
    the socket's compatibility layer), hardware support doesn't: the ifreq
    is passed to the right device driver, but the data pointer from a 32 bit
    process is not interpreted correctly by a 64 bit driver. If there is a
    way to handle this then please let me know - I didn't see how a device
    driver could distinguish between a 32 and 64 bit user process.

    With a 32 bit kernel software time stamping works. I couldn't test
    hardware support because I couldn't get the igb driver to work. Even
    without any of the patches it failed to transmit packets (tested with
    net-next-2.6 sources and original Ubuntu 8.10 installation). I need to
    look into this problem further, but don't want to hold up the review of
    the patches.

    Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

    on behalf of Intel on this matter.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-01-21 11:11    [W:0.022 / U:44.476 seconds]