SubjectRe: [Bug #12465] KVM guests stalling on 2.6.28 (bisected)

* Kevin Shanahan <kmshanah@ucwb.org.au> wrote:

> > > It at least suggests a problem with interaction between the scheduler
> > > and kvm, otherwise reverting that scheduler patch wouldn't have made the
> > > regression go away.
> >
> > the scheduler affects almost everything, so almost by definition a
> > scheduler change can tickle a race or other timing bug in just about any
> > code - and reverting that change in the scheduler can make the bug go
> > away. But yes, it could also be a genuine scheduler bug - that is always a
> > possibility.
>
> Okay, I understand.
>
> > Could you please run a cfs-debug-info.sh session on a CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG=y
> > and CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS=y kernel, while you are experiencing those
> > latencies:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/tools/cfs-debug-info.sh
> >
> > and post that (relatively large) somewhere, or send it as a reply after
> > bzip2 -9 compressing it? It will include a lot of information about the
> > delays your tasks are experiencing.
>
> Running it while the problem is occuring will be tricky, as it only
> lasts for a few seconds at a time. Is it going to be useful at all to
> just see those statistics if the system is running normally?
>
> I might need to modify the script a little. Am I right that everything
> above "gathering statistics..." is pretty much static information?

Correct.

> I could run top, vmstat and cat /proc/sched_debug in a loop until the
> problem occurs and then trim it. Something like:
>
> while true; do
> date >> $FILE
> echo "-- top: --" >> $FILE
> top -H -c -b -d 1 -n 0.5 >> $FILE 2>/dev/null
> echo "-- vmstat: --" >> $FILE
> vmstat >> $FILE 2>/dev/null
> echo "-- sched_debug #$i: --" >> $FILE
> cat /proc/sched_debug >> $FILE 2>/dev/null
> done
>
> That should take a snapshot every half second or so.

Yeah, that would be lovely. You dont even have to trim it much - just give
us a timestamp to look at for the delay incident. You might also want to
start the kvm session while the script is already running - that way we'll
get fresh statistics and see the whole thing.

Ingo