    SubjectRe: PATCH [0/3]: Simplify the kernel build by removing perl.
    Date

    On Jan 2, 2009, at 4:16 AM, Alejandro Mery wrote:

    > Christoph Hellwig escribió:

    >>> And now bash is going to be required... while some distros don't
    >>> need/have
    >>> bash. /bin/sh should be enough.
    >>>

    >> *nod* bash is in many ways a worse requirement than perl. strict
    >> posix
    >> /bin/sh + awk + sed would be nicest, but if that's too much work perl
    >> seems reasonable.

    > well, bash is not worse as bash is trivial to cross-compile to run
    > on a
    > constrained sandbox and perl is a nightmare, but I agree bash should
    > be
    > avoided too.
    >
    > I think the $(( ... )) bash-ism can be replaced with a simple .c
    > helper toy.
    >
    > Thank Rob for reopening the topic.
    >
    > Alejandro Mery

    And actually, one of the things that I just recalled, is that several
    of the Perl configure scripts in order to actually build itself, rely
    on Bourne shell calls. So the argument to require a strict POSIX+sed
    +awk implementation rather than Perl to build the kernel, fails, since
    you already require some variant of shell greater than strict POSIX /
    bin/sh to build Perl. So this is one less dependency.

    Also, attempting to cross-compile Perl, is indeed a nightmare.

    --
    Mark Miller
    mark@mirell.org