    SubjectRe: Mainline kernel OLTP performance update
    Nick Piggin wrote:
    > OK, I have these numbers to show I'm not completely off my rocker to suggest
    > we merge SLQB :) Given these results, how about I ask to merge SLQB as default
    > in linux-next, then if nothing catastrophic happens, merge it upstream in the
    > next merge window, then a couple of releases after that, given some time to
    > test and tweak SLQB, then we plan to bite the bullet and emerge with just one
    > main slab allocator (plus SLOB).
    >

    > System is a 2socket, 4 core AMD.

    Not exactly a large system :) Barely NUMA even with just two sockets.

    > All debug and stats options turned off for
    > all the allocators; default parameters (ie. SLUB using higher order pages,
    > and the others tend to be using order-0). SLQB is the version I recently
    > posted, with some of the prefetching removed according to Pekka's review
    > (probably a good idea to only add things like that in if/when they prove to
    > be an improvement).

    > Netperf UDP unidirectional send test (10 runs, higher better):
    >
    > Server and client bound to same CPU
    > SLAB AVG=60.111 STD=1.59382
    > SLQB AVG=60.167 STD=0.685347
    > SLUB AVG=58.277 STD=0.788328
    >
    > Server and client bound to same socket, different CPUs
    > SLAB AVG=85.938 STD=0.875794
    > SLQB AVG=93.662 STD=2.07434
    > SLUB AVG=81.983 STD=0.864362
    >
    > Server and client bound to different sockets
    > SLAB AVG=78.801 STD=1.44118
    > SLQB AVG=78.269 STD=1.10457
    > SLUB AVG=71.334 STD=1.16809
    > I haven't done any non-local network tests. Networking is the one of the
    > subsystems most heavily dependent on slab performance, so if anybody
    > cares to run their favourite tests, that would be really helpful.

    I'm guessing, but then are these Mbit/s figures? Would that be the sending
    throughput or the receiving throughput?

    I love to see netperf used, but why UDP and loopback? Also, how about the
    service demands?

    rick jones

      Last update: 2009-01-16 19:19    [W:0.024 / U:120.032 seconds]