SubjectRe: Mainline kernel OLTP performance update
Nick Piggin wrote:
> OK, I have these numbers to show I'm not completely off my rocker to suggest
> we merge SLQB :) Given these results, how about I ask to merge SLQB as default
> in linux-next, then if nothing catastrophic happens, merge it upstream in the
> next merge window, then a couple of releases after that, given some time to
> test and tweak SLQB, then we plan to bite the bullet and emerge with just one
> main slab allocator (plus SLOB).
>

> System is a 2socket, 4 core AMD.

Not exactly a large system :) Barely NUMA even with just two sockets.

> All debug and stats options turned off for
> all the allocators; default parameters (ie. SLUB using higher order pages,
> and the others tend to be using order-0). SLQB is the version I recently
> posted, with some of the prefetching removed according to Pekka's review
> (probably a good idea to only add things like that in if/when they prove to
> be an improvement).

> Netperf UDP unidirectional send test (10 runs, higher better):
>
> Server and client bound to same CPU
> SLAB AVG=60.111 STD=1.59382
> SLQB AVG=60.167 STD=0.685347
> SLUB AVG=58.277 STD=0.788328
>
> Server and client bound to same socket, different CPUs
> SLAB AVG=85.938 STD=0.875794
> SLQB AVG=93.662 STD=2.07434
> SLUB AVG=81.983 STD=0.864362
>
> Server and client bound to different sockets
> SLAB AVG=78.801 STD=1.44118
> SLQB AVG=78.269 STD=1.10457
> SLUB AVG=71.334 STD=1.16809
> I haven't done any non-local network tests. Networking is the one of the
> subsystems most heavily dependent on slab performance, so if anybody
> cares to run their favourite tests, that would be really helpful.

I'm guessing, but then are these Mbit/s figures? Would that be the sending
throughput or the receiving throughput?

I love to see netperf used, but why UDP and loopback? Also, how about the
service demands?

rick jones

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans