SubjectRE: Mainline kernel OLTP performance update
Trying to answer to some of the question below:

-Chinang

It is difficult for me to isolate the recent rt scheduler improvement as so many other changes were introduced to the kernel at the same time. A more accurate comparison should just revert the rt-scheduler back to the previous version and test the delta. I am not sure how to get that done.

>2) how many rt tasks?
Around 250 rt tasks.

>3) what were the prios, producer compared to consumers, not actual numbers
I suppose the single log writer is the main producer (rt-prio 49, higheset rt-prio in this workload) which wake up all foreground process when the log write is done. The 240 foreground processes are the consumer (rt-prio 48). At any given time some number of the 240 foreground was waiting for log writer to finish flushing out the log data.

>4) have you tried pinning tasks?

We did try pin foreground rt-process to cpu. That recovered about 1% performance but introduce idle time in some cpu. Without load balancing, my solution is to pin more processes to the idle cpu. I don't think this is a practical solution for the idle time problem as the process distribution need to be adjusted again when upgrade to a different server.

>RT is more about determinism than performance. The old scheduler
>migrated rt tasks the same as other tasks. This helps with performance
>because it will keep several rt tasks on the same CPU and cache hot even
>when a rt task can migrate. This helps performance, but kills
>determinism (I was seeing 10 ms wake up times from the next-highest-prio
>task on a cpu, even when another CPU was available).
>
>If you pin a task to a cpu, then it skips over the push and pull logic
>and will help with performance too.
>
>-- Steve
>

>> Well. It's more a case that it wasn't taken anywhere. I appear to
>> have recently been informed that there have never been any
>> CPU-scheduler-caused regressions. Please persist!
>>
>> > SLUB would have had a huge negative effect if we were using it -- on
>the
>> > order of 7% iirc. SLQB is at least performance-neutral with SLAB.
>>
>> We really need to unblock that problem somehow. I assume that
>> enterprise distros are shipping slab?

  Last update: 2009-01-15 08:15    [W:0.268 / U:0.364 seconds]