SubjectRE: Mainline kernel OLTP performance update

I think the high OLTP throughtput with rt-prio is due to the fixed time-slice. It is better to give DBMS process a bigger timeslice for getting a data buffer lock, process data, release the lock and switch out due to waiting on i/o instead of being force to switch out while still holding a data lock.

I suppose SCHED_OTHER is the default policy for user processes. We tried setting only the log writer to RT and left all other DBMS orocess in default sched policy and the performance is ~1.5% lower than the all rt-prio process result.

  Last update: 2009-01-15 20:31    [W:0.110 / U:0.088 seconds]