SubjectRe: 2.6.29 -mm merge plans
Date
On Thursday 08 January 2009 19:39:02 Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > I don't know how stable fuse APIs are (ie. whether we'd just be handing
> > the anchors to FUSE), but if it is very stable, then it would be nice to
> > push a lot of them out of the kernel (although OTOH the old ones tend not
> > to have complex interactions with mm or block layer).
>
> Fuse APIs are very stable, so pushing old filesystems out to userspace
> makes sense. Porting them, however, is not entirely trivial. Amit
> Singh (of MacFUSE) got minix, ufs and sysvfs to work on OSX using only
> lightly modified linux source code. That framework could probably be
> used to port other filesystems to userspace.

That might be nice. OTOH it is just a random suggestion from me. I don't
know what core fs developers think about requiring fuse and user code to
mount these old things...

Would we have to distribute the user code with the kernel? I guess then
we would still need to maintain it, but I guess the key improvement would
be that fuse APIs are very stable.

  Last update: 2009-01-15 07:49    [W:0.568 / U:0.632 seconds]