SubjectRe: PCI, ACPI, IRQ, IOAPIC: reroute PCI interrupt to legacy boot interrupt equivalent
On 13-Jan-09, Olaf Dabrunz wrote:
> On 13-Jan-09, Stefan Assmann wrote:
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > Jon Masters wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks. You know what I'd really like even more than being on the CC?
> > > I'd *love* someone to post a link to documentation on how this actually
> > > is supposed to work. We had to guess last time because none of the
> > > public documentation actually explains this. The guys at SuSE likely
> > > received some docs, but I'm not sure where from or the title thereof.
> >
> > Actually, most of the Boot Interrupt patches resulted from reading the
> > intel specs and observing the behavior of failing machines. We're trying
> > to wrap up all the information gathered in a paper, which is pretty time
> > consuming and a few steps away from being ready to publish.
>
> We read the specs of the chips, analyzed code, put up hypotheses and
> tested them. Then read the specs again, finding new hypotheses and
> tested again. Also reading what you guys sent out to lkml and reading
> through the public discussions for *BSD, Darwin, XEN etc. helped.
> And some colleagues discussed hypotheses and solution attempts with us.
>
> We summarized many of our end results in a presentation that we gave
> internally, and I am working on making this available online (in
> addition to the paper/slides that Stefan mentions below).

The presentation can be found at

http://www.suse.de/~odabrunz/Boot_Interrupts_and_IRQ_Threads.pdf

Some parts of it have been corrected and updated.

Please do not miss the "Details" slides after the License and the
Disclaimer. The Details should answer many questions.

Thanks,

--
Olaf Dabrunz (od/odabrunz), SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Nürnberg