    SubjectRe: Is 386 processor still supported?
    On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > userland support with little burden for both Linux and respective user
    > > software maintainers. Certainly it adds some bloat to the kernel, but I
    > > think it is not an option that should be outright dismissed without
    > > consideration.
    > Nobody normally builds for 386 (and you need the big FPU emulator etc too
    > and pay a big penalty for the lack of working WP bits) so it wouldn't be
    > a big penalty if you can actually find an i386 user any more ;)

    You can actually escape the FPU emulator if you have a proper computer
    (an i386/80287 combo, anyone? ;) -- we've got it right actually :) ), but
    the rest and overall I agree with you. And I think i386-class cores can
    be still seen in some embedded applications, so there may be non-epsilon
    interest yet.