    SubjectRe: linux kernel without file system
    On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:59:49PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
    > On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Philippe De Muyter wrote:
    > > Actually, I was thinking about reducing the footprint of my kernel by
    > > removing all the fs-related system calls, so the problem is not where
    > > the file-system is, but how to access (serial) devices without giving their
    > > "/dev/..." name.
    >
    > One thing that you can do is remove support for block devices in somewhat
    > recent kernels, which gets you most of the way. File systems themselves
    > are required for the majority of all system calls (anything that takes
    > a file descriptor) and for the boot process.

    file descriptor is actually an historical name, now too particular.

    I would like to keep sockets and serial lines, for which the handle is a
    "file descriptor", but not use any file. So, of course I need to keep
    write(), read(), poll(), socket() etc, but not open(), link(), mknod() and
    everything that walks a directory tree.

    Philippe

      Last update: 2009-01-14 13:21    [W:0.024 / U:30.196 seconds]