SubjectRe: 2.6.28-git8: tg3 doesn't work due to firmware not loading (-git7 is ok)
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 01:39:29PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:24:58 +0000
>
> > Other drivers will load the firmware later, at the time the device is
> > brought up. This means that even if you build the driver into the kernel
> > without its firmware, it can still request the firmware later, when you
> > try to start _using_ it. And when the file system is available.
>
> For example, for mounting an NFS root using that device.... Oh, will I
> need an initramfs for that once you pull the firmware-in-kernel
> option?
>
> To me, device probe is in fact the place to fail firmware discovery
> for networking devices. Because such a failure can mean you can't
> mount your root filesystem.

David, is this the direction you want to take the fix? I'm sitting on
a patch that elaborates on David Woodhouse's work which moves the
request_firmware call to tg3_open(). Before I posted it for comment,
I wanted to make sure the patch is moving in the right direction.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans