SubjectRe: RFC: Network privilege separation.
Le lundi 12 janvier 2009 22:39:31 Andi Kleen, vous avez écrit :
> > What's the point of writing a parser (that could also have bugs) when the
> Sorry you lost me. What do you mean with parser here?
> > kernel can do it?
> And what does it have to do with the kernel?

The parser at the other end of the pipe. The more intricate the over-the-pipe
protocol is, the more likely it is to be buggy and the security scheme to

> > A normal DVD would be over 30 megabytes per seconds once decoded, just
> > for the
> On many modern systems 30MB/s copies is nothing ... Also in this
> case they tend to be cache hot, which makes them much cheaper.

> Yes it would be somewhat slower, but if it avoids a couple of security
> updates that would be probably worth it.

If codecs did not care about performance, they'd be written in some high-level
language that could easily be sandboxed by its own VM.

As the guy who's been dealing with VLC security issues for the past two years,
I have to say, I am in no way interested in SECCOMP as it _currently_ is.

Rémi Denis-Courmont