SubjectRe: 2.6.28-git8: tg3 doesn't work due to firmware not loading (-git7 is ok)
From
From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:24:58 +0000
> Other drivers will load the firmware later, at the time the device is
> brought up. This means that even if you build the driver into the kernel
> without its firmware, it can still request the firmware later, when you
> try to start _using_ it. And when the file system is available.

For example, for mounting an NFS root using that device.... Oh, will I
need an initramfs for that once you pull the firmware-in-kernel
option?
To me, device probe is in fact the place to fail firmware discovery
for networking devices. Because such a failure can mean you can't
mount your root filesystem.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans