    SubjectRe: [git pull] x86 fixes

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > config X86_GENERIC
    > - bool "Generic x86 support"
    > + bool "Generic x86 support" if EMBEDDED

    Ok, so after having realized that this seems to be more about a bug with
    gcc, I'm really not as convinced any more.

    As far as I can tell, there are three issues:

    - "-mtune=core/core2/pentium4/.." is buggy in some gas/gcc versions on
    x86-32, and makes architectural choices.

    Any actual _released_ versions? Maybe it's just a current SVN issue?

    Workaround: don't use it. And yes, X86_GENERIC=y will do that, although
    quite frankly that seems to be dubious in itself. But quite frankly,
    it's a gcc bug, and we should see it as such.

    The better workaround may well be "-Wa,-mtune=generic" as you pointed

    - We do the CONFIG_P6_NOPL thing ourselves, and we should just stop
    doing that on 32-bit. There simply isn't a good enough reason to do so.
    I already posteed the Kconfig.cpu patch to just stop doing it.

    - X86_GENERIC means _other_ things too, like doing a 128-bit cacheline
    just so that it won't suck horribly on P4's even if it's otherwise
    tuned for a good microarchitecture.

    And they really do seem to be _separate_ issues. Do we really want to tie
    these things together under X86_GENERIC?

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-09-08 20:07    [W:0.021 / U:13.800 seconds]