SubjectRe: [BUG] x86 kenel won't boot under Virtual PC
Date
On Monday 08 September 2008 12:15, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > The issue at hand is that at least with the current toolchain, we need
> > to pass -march=generic in order for these instructions to be generated.
> > We have an option for this, CONFIG_X86_GENERIC, which distributions
> > really *should* be using anyway.
>
> That should have been "-mtune=generic". Sorry.
>
> > And yes, it should be the default. The patch I have makes it
> > "default y" as well as change the help text.
> >
> > Would it make you happier if this option was forced enabled unless
> > CONFIG_EMBEDDED was on?
>
> I guess the other option is to create a new option for selecting the
> dangerous -mtune= variants, and possibly lock *that* option to
> CONFIG_EMBEDDED.
>
> -hpa

The option that works best for users is for the kernel to not use NOPLs on
32-bit cpu's. That is what Linus's patch accomplishes. I am not having any
issues with gcc or gas generating NOPLs. The kernel should work out of the
box for PentiumPro or later cpu's running in 32-bit mode. I think you are
trying to over-engineer the issue. Just apply the patch and move on.
David

  Last update: 2008-09-08 18:29    [W:0.115 / U:10.984 seconds]