SubjectRe: [2.6.27] overlapping early reservations [was: early exception - lockdep related?]

* Bodo Eggert <7eggert@gmx.de> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
>
> > In any case it would make sense to turn that particular overlap
> > situation into a warning message and disable initrd decompress - and
> > try to boot with whatever is built-in the kernel.
>
> If I explicitely tell my system to load a ramdisk, ignoring it is a
> bug.

we dont really ignore it - we detect that it got corrupted by the
bootloader. (it got overwritten by the kernel image - information has
been destroyed irrevocably)

how we react to that breakage we detect is up to debate: it's fine to
try to continue (presumably a huge vmlinux means it has all the drivers
already) - and if a system relies on an initrd it wont get fast in
bootup anyway.

that's why i suggested to print a warning, do a 5 seconds delay after
that warning via mdelay(5000) so that the user has a chance to notice
what is wrong, and then try to continue. Panicking is just as fine.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-09-08 16:33    [W:0.284 / U:1.904 seconds]