SubjectRe: [BUG] x86 kenel won't boot under Virtual PC
David Sanders wrote:
> I checked the distribution I'm using (debian) and the kernel shipped with it
> does not have CONFIG_X86_GENERIC set. This means _when_ they ship a 2.6.27
> kernel it won't work with Virtual PC so I won't be able to even install it.

Then please file a bug report with Debian.

> However, with Linus's patch I am guaranteed to work for all kernels built for
> X86_32 and even for X86_64 because in that case the virtual environment will
> support the multibyte NOPs. I need Linus's fix in order to support the
> Linux-using virtual pc community. I don't have the resources to lobby each
> individual distribution about their kernel config. I want it to just work.

Under that logic we shouldn't even have CPU configurables, since you
want it to "just work" whatever crap you're running on. That is EXACTLY
what CONFIG_X86_GENERIC means, and the fact that any particular
distribution is broken with respect to not enabling it is a bug in that
distribution, and not grounds for breaking the upstream kernel.

-hpa

  Last update: 2008-09-08 06:11    [W:0.272 / U:0.660 seconds]