SubjectRe: [2.6.27] overlapping early reservations [was: early exception - lockdep related?]
Date
Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> In any case it would make sense to turn that particular overlap
> situation into a warning message and disable initrd decompress - and try
> to boot with whatever is built-in the kernel.

If I explicitely tell my system to load a ramdisk, ignoring it is a bug.

I had a similar bug in PAM: One of these modules has a parameter to invert
the check. I copied the tested configuration to an old debian system, which
did not have this parameter, and it decided to ignore it (as if I were just
joking while writing the config files of a security system). Therefore the
system was open for everybody who was not supposed to use it.

I don't think ignoring an intrd will be as serious, but having a panic (and
a timeout) is preferable to starting the wrong configuration.

  Last update: 2008-09-07 18:43    [W:0.191 / U:0.044 seconds]