SubjectRe: [patch] Add basic sanity checks to the syscall execution patch
On Sat 2008-09-06 17:45:51, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
>
> > Then they will simply proceed like this :
> > - patch /boot/vmlinuz
> > - sync
> > - crash system
> >
> > => user says "oh crap" and presses the reset button. Patched kernel boots.
> > Game over. Patching vmlinuz for known targetted distros is even easier
> > because the attacker just has to embed binary changes for the most
> > common distro kernels.
>
> a reboot often raises attention. But yes, in terms of end user boxes,
> probably not. Anyway, my points were about transparent rootkits
> installed on a running system without anyone noticing - obviously if the
> attacker can modify the kernel image and the user does not mind a reboot
> it's game over.

Well, install a rootkit in /boot/vmlinuz, sync, then wait for user to
reboot its system?

Even well-kept servers are rebooted from time to time.

I agree -- the only way to win is not to play this game.

  Last update: 2008-09-07 14:55    [W:0.100 / U:0.052 seconds]