SubjectRe: [patch 1/2] x2apic: fix reserved APIC register accesses in print_local_APIC()
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> hm, is the remote read debug output, now that it's not present in CPUs
> made in the past 5 years or so, really that important?

Maybe, maybe not, but if included it should be done correctly or
otherwise anotated why done differently. Otherwise people may get
confused and propagate incorrect information as not everybody is inclined
to chase and cross-refer the relevant piece of documentation for each and
every bit of code fiddling with hardware. In fact the requirement to do
so reduces trust in code it applies to and makes long-term maintenance a
nightmare.

This observation applies universally of course. I tend to look at code
without referring to documentation too as most often than not this is much
more effective time-wise.

Maciej

  Last update: 2008-09-05 23:07    [W:0.044 / U:0.140 seconds]