SubjectRe: frame unwinder patches
Date
On Friday 05 September 2008 16:13:37 Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 15:52:47 +0200
>
> Bernd Schubert <bs@q-leap.de> wrote:
> > > (and if you really care it's 1 line of code to turn it off)
> >
> > It is not only this, I think the dwarf2 stack unwinder patches
> > provide by far better traces than the in-kernel unwinder. At least
> > ever since I applied these patches to our kernels, I was able to read
> > the stack dumps...
>
> they really wouldn't be different than the ones you get if you remove
> the "?" lines.

Well may be, but then there is still the performace degrading, so I don't want
to have it enabled on our production kernels. I admit I never measured what
is the difference between of CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y and =n, but the fact the
help text says there is a difference already makes me want to disable it
(especially, since we have to provide benchmarks before we can sell a
system).

Cheers,
Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert
Q-Leap Networks GmbH

  Last update: 2008-09-05 16:51    [W:0.090 / U:0.032 seconds]