    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.27-rc8
    On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Linus Torvalds
    <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Jiri Kosina wrote:
    >>
    >> Intel is working with us on tracking down and resolving the issue, but
    >> this is not going as well as one would like to see (one attempt, one card
    >> with completely hosed EEPROM contents ... and restoring the contents is
    >> not *that* trivial).
    >
    > What's the magic to trigger it? I've got a laptop with that e1000e chip in
    > it, and am obviously running a recent kernel on it. Do people have a
    > handle on it? Is it actually verified to be kernel-related, and not
    > related to the X server etc?

    If we had the magic we'd have fixed it by now, the current working
    theory is its X server related. This
    hasn't been proven, though my ATI GPU e1000e seems fine so it may have
    some legs.

    If it is X related then its both a kernel + X server issue, the e1000e
    driver opens the barn door, the X server drives the horses through it.

    Of course until someone produces a way to fix the hw after it breaks,
    reproducing this isn't something for the feint hearted. I'm hoping my
    laptop
    comes back today with a brand new motherboard in it.

    Dave.

      Last update: 2008-09-30 04:03    [W:4.358 / U:0.008 seconds]