    SubjectRe: [patch 00/04] RFC: Staging tree (drivers/staging)
    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:49:23 -0700 Randy Dunlap wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:27:26 +0900 Paul Mundt wrote:

    > > > How? TAINT_EXPERIMENTAL (I'll stick to that, thanks :) and
    > > > CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL are no different - neither to users nor to
    > > > developers. Here is why -
    > > > Both try to do the same thing - let people use the drivers on their
    > > > own risk (as if the stable ones are developer's risk - but let's keep
    > > > it aside for the moment) and give developers a chance to keep the code
    > > > in sync with mainline and improve it per user problem reports or
    > > > generally make it better.
    > > >
    > > Uhm.. not quite. As the one that proposed the flag in the first place,
    > > perhaps it helps to cover the rationale (although Greg seems to have
    > > mostly covered that already).
    > >
    > > EXPERIMENTAL today is pretty damn meaningless. What it tends to mean in
    >
    > then it would be better if Greg/someone cleaned up the current tree's
    > problems instead of introducing more CRAP under a different name.
    > Oh well, his mind is already made up and I know how difficult it is to
    > change it.

    I shouldn't have said that last sentence. I apologize to Greg.

    ISTM that the real problems are (a) it's easier to introduce new staging/crap
    than it is to fix EXPERIMENTAL and (b) no one wants to try to fix EXPERIMENTAL.

    ---
    ~Randy

      Last update: 2008-09-25 19:57    [W:2.767 / U:0.004 seconds]