SubjectRe: [patch] mm: pageable memory allocator (for DRM-GEM?)
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:21:26PM +0200, Thomas Hellström wrote:
> Nick,
> From my point of view, this is exactly what's needed, although there
> might be some different opinions among the
> DRM developers. A question:
>
> Sometimes it's desirable to indicate that a page / object is "cleaned",
> which would mean data has moved and is backed by device memory. In that
> case one could either free the object or indicate to it that it can
> release it's pages. Is freeing / recreating such an object an expensive
> operation? Would it, in that case, be possible to add an object / page
> "cleaned" function?

Ah, interesting... freeing/recreating isn't _too_ expensive, but it is
going to have to allocate a lot of pages (for a big object) and copy
a lot of memory. It's strange to say "cleaned", in a sense, because the
allocator itself doesn't know it is being used as a writeback cache ;)
(and it might get confusing with the shmem implementation because your
cleaned != shmem cleaned!).

I understand the operation you need, but it's tricky to make it work in
the existing shmem / vm infrastructure I think. Let's call it "dontneed",
and I'll add a hook in there we can play with later to see if it helps?

What I could imagine is to have a second backing store (not shmem), which
"dontneed" pages go onto, and they simply get discarded rather than swapped
out (eg. via the ->shrinker() memory pressure indicator). You could then
also register a callback to recreate these parts of memory if they have been
discarded then become used again. It wouldn't be terribly difficult come to
think of it... would that be useful?