SubjectRe: PTE access rules & abstraction

> What do you propose then? Ideally one would like to get something that
> works for powerpc, s390, all the wacky ia64 modes as well as x86. The
> ia64 folks proposed something, but I've not looked at it closely. From
> an x86 virtualization perspective, something that's basically x86 with
> as much scope for batching and deferring as possible would be fine.

That's where things get interesting. I liked Nick ideas of doing
something transactional that could encompass the lock, bach and flushing
but that may be too much at this stage...

> As a start, what's the state machine for a pte? What states can it be
> in, and how does it move from state to state? It sounds like powerpc
> has at least one extra state above x86 (hashed, with the hash key stored
> in the pte itself?).

We store in the PTE whether it was hashed, and the location within a
hash bucket. (For each hash value, there's 8 buckets, or rather 16 if
you count our secondary hashing).

We must never write a new valid PTE after we cleared a hashed one
without having a flush in between.

On 32 bits we have less state (only the 'hashed' bit) but the problem is
similar, though we handle it differently: we never clear the hash bit
until we flush the hash, ie, pte_clear doesn't clear the hash bit. On
64-bit we do things differently, we do clear PTEs and pile up in a
per-cpu batch what needs to be flushed, the flush then happens when
leaving lazy mode.

> ptep_get_and_clear() is not batchable anyway, because the x86
> implementation requires an atomic xchg on the pte, which will likely
> result in some sort of trap (and if it doesn't then it doesn't need
> batching).

Well, ptep_get_and_clear() used to be used by zap_pte_range() which I
_HOPE_ was batchable on x86 :-)

Nowadays, there's this new ptep_get_and_clear_full() (yet another
totally meaningless name for an ad-hoc API added for some random special
purpose) that zap_pte_range() uses. Maybe that one is now subtly
different such as it can be used to batch on x86 ?

In any case, powerpc batches -everything- (unless it's called *_flush in
which case the flush is immediate) in a private per-cpu batch and
flushes the hash when leaving lazy mode.

> The start/commit API was specifically so that we can do the
> mprotect (and fork COW updates) in a batchable way (in Xen its
> implemented with a pte update hypercall which updates the pte without
> affecting the A/D bits).

I think we have different ideas of what batch means but yeah, we do
batch everything including these on powerpc without the new start/commit
interface.

Ben.