SubjectRe: Laptop shock detection and harddisk protection
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:03:58AM +0200, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 13:18:45 Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > Code created by access to specs that were not allowed to be published in
> > > GPL form by someone who wants to remain anonymous.
> >
> > That anonymous person may have problems if they signed NDA.
> >
> > I don't think they did, they even list the sources:
> >
> > * The embedded controller on ThinkPad laptops has a non-standard
> > interface, * where LPC channel 3 of the H8S EC chip is hooked up to IO
> > ports * 0x1600-0x161F and implements (a special case of) the H8S LPC
> > protocol. * The EC LPC interface provides various system management
> > services (currently * known: battery information and accelerometer
> > readouts). This driver * provides access and mutual exclusion for the EC
> > interface.
> > *
> > * The LPC protocol and terminology is documented here:
> > * "H8S/2104B Group Hardware Manual",
> > *
> > http://documentation.renesas.com/eng/products/mpumcu/rej09b0300_2140bhm.pdf
> >
> > H8S chip seems to be documented.
> Hmm, the EC is not directly used, but ACPI functions of the HP device are
> used.
> For the HP ACPI device: the ACPI functions can *very easily* be re-engineered
> (which is common for all laptop_acpi.ko drivers):
> ALRD -> is used by the driver to read out registers of the accelerometer
> ALWR -> is used by the driver to write a registers of the accelerometer
> BTW: HP likes to have support for their device.
>
> The acceleromter chip itself is docuemented in detail here:
> http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/12094/lis3lv02dl.pdf
>
> I also do not see any concerns.
> Greg: Can you please add this one or explain in more detail what else you like
> to see to get this integerated.

If you, or anyone else, writes a new driver from the published
documents, that driver can be accepted. It can not be based on the
existing code written by Shem in any form.

We can not accept this driver for reasons I've detailed numerous times
in the past. That fact isn't going to change, sorry.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2008-09-24 07:27    [W:0.102 / U:0.428 seconds]