    SubjectRe: diet-kconfig: a script to trim unneeded kconfigs
    At Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:55:51 -0700,
    Chris Li wrote:
    > On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Takashi Iwai <> wrote:
    > > Yes. Your stuff would be actually helpful for people who want
    > > a really slim kernel config.
    > Incidentally, I wrote such a script as well. In 64 lines of python code.
    > I attach the script in question in the mail. I use a approach very
    > similar to yours. But I work around some of the nasty part.

    Thanks, I'll check yours too soon.

    > It needs to start with kernel config has most of the modules enabled.
    > Most of the kernel config from the linux distribution is like that.
    > Then it try to parse the Kbuild looking for what kernel config produce
    > what module. It is not a 1 to 1 mapping.
    > Once we have the mapping. It open /proc/modules to go over every
    > module. Remove the config which can produce those module from the
    > mapping.
    > Now we have a blacklist of config produce modules but not the one we want.
    > Then the last stage is just open a config file and filter out the config
    > option on the blacklist. Write the result to a new config file.

    I think a whitelist would be useful, too, e.g. for hotplug devices
    like usb.

    > I avoid arch/ and firmware/ because it is nasty. I figure module in
    > arch/ is small enough I don't mind building it. And the firmware directory,
    > if I don't build the module loads it. Those firmware will automatically skipped
    > any way.

    > The little tricky part is some thing like this:
    > ========================
    > ifeq ($(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640), m)
    > obj-m += cmd640.o
    > endif
    > Internally it get convert it into:
    > "obj-$(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640) += cmd640.o"

    This should be fixed in Makefile.
    Care to submit a patch?

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-09-22 12:05    [W:0.025 / U:17.680 seconds]