    From: Nick Piggin <>
    Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 05:10:37 +0200

    > Part of the problem with the pte API (as well as the cache flush and
    > tlb flush APIs) is that it often involves the core mm code telling
    > the arch how it thinks ptes,tlbs,caches should be managed, rather than
    > I think the better approach would be telling the arch what it wants to
    > do.
    > We are getting better slowly I think (eg. you note that set_pte_at is
    > no longer used as a generic "do anything"), but I won't dispute that
    > this whole area could use an overhaul; a document for all the rules,
    > a single person or point of responsibility for those rules...

    I agree.

    To a certain extent this is what BSD does in it's pmap layer, except
    that they don't have the page table datastructure abstraction like
    Linus does in the generic code, and which I think was a smart design
    decision on our side.

    All of the pmap modules in BSD are pretty big and duplicate a lot of
    code that arch's don't have to be mindful about under Linux.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-09-23 05:19    [W:0.034 / U:24.728 seconds]