SubjectRe: printing current system time from kernel space

Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
> George Nychis wrote:
>> I spent some time googling, but could not find out how or if it is
>> possible to read the current system time in kernel space. I could
>> insert a printk() somewhere in usbdev_read() then.
>
> If that's what you want to do could you not turn on timestamps on printk
> (CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME in the kernel hacking menu)?

Thanks for the response!

You might be misunderstanding my goal. I need a common clock between
kernel and user space, so that I can say:

Event1 happened at time X in the kernel
Event2 happened at time X+Y in user space
The time between Event1 and Event2 was Y-X

So, turning off timestamps does not help anything here :)

What might be useful is if user space can read the current timestamp
value that printk uses, that way I can just do a printk in the kernel
and then read the value and print in user space.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
George

  Last update: 2008-09-22 17:13    [W:0.344 / U:0.236 seconds]