SubjectRe: Mark IPW2100 as BROKEN: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart.
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:28:38 +0400
Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@2ka.mipt.ru> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:04:22AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven
> (arjan@infradead.org) wrote:
> > so now you go from an occasional burp to having nothing at all.
> > How about you run with this patch on your own machine only?
>
> And how else user can get attention to the problem which is not fixed
> by the vendor?

... or the community

> We close our eyes and there is no problem, since we do
> not see it. I just brought a lamp: no user can see that essentially
> driver is broken so he can run it on his own risk.
>
> > or.. since you say a reload of the driver fixes it.. why don't you
> > make a patch for the driver that does basically the actions of a
> > reload automatically when the driver detects the issue?
> > (and stick a WARN_ON in for good measure so that kerneloops.org can
> > start tracking these burps)
>
> It stops after several seconds (or packets?). Sometimes (but rarely)
> it works several minutes, sometimes it fires above dmesg line and
> continues to work, sometimes it fires it for a while and then stops
> writing it, although driver does not send or receive anything (at
> least ifconfig counters do not change).

again.. so how about you detect this condition and do, in the driver
code, the equivalent of rmmod/insmod to the hardware. I'm sure people
who have the hardware would appreciate that type of patch a lot more
than the one you sent out.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans