    SubjectRe: Mark IPW2100 as BROKEN: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart.
    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:28:38 +0400
    Evgeniy Polyakov <> wrote:

    > On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:04:22AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven
    > ( wrote:
    > > so now you go from an occasional burp to having nothing at all.
    > > How about you run with this patch on your own machine only?
    > And how else user can get attention to the problem which is not fixed
    > by the vendor?

    ... or the community

    > We close our eyes and there is no problem, since we do
    > not see it. I just brought a lamp: no user can see that essentially
    > driver is broken so he can run it on his own risk.
    > > or.. since you say a reload of the driver fixes it.. why don't you
    > > make a patch for the driver that does basically the actions of a
    > > reload automatically when the driver detects the issue?
    > > (and stick a WARN_ON in for good measure so that can
    > > start tracking these burps)
    > It stops after several seconds (or packets?). Sometimes (but rarely)
    > it works several minutes, sometimes it fires above dmesg line and
    > continues to work, sometimes it fires it for a while and then stops
    > writing it, although driver does not send or receive anything (at
    > least ifconfig counters do not change).

    again.. so how about you detect this condition and do, in the driver
    code, the equivalent of rmmod/insmod to the hardware. I'm sure people
    who have the hardware would appreciate that type of patch a lot more
    than the one you sent out.

      Last update: 2008-09-21 20:37    [W:0.020 / U:34.272 seconds]