    SubjectRe: dmaengine.c: question about device_alloc_chan_resources
    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Timur Tabi wrote:

    > Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, or maybe provide an interface for simply requesting a channel
    >> without having to register any callbacks.
    >
    > I could use this feature. The sound drivers for our MPC8610 processor use DMA,
    > but the drivers need to control the DMA hardware directly, so I can't use
    > dmaengine. I would like to be able to just reserve the channels and program
    > them as I see fit.
    >
    > --
    > Timur Tabi
    > Linux kernel developer at Freescale

    The hardware on the PC/AT machines won't allow you to
    reserve a specific channel and program it as you see fit,
    because there are two devices, one for the low DMA
    channels and another for the high ones. Even the low
    DMA device has a channel in use as a cascade so, if
    you were to touch any of its registers while a DMA
    was in progress, the result will be undefined. That's
    why there needs to be a central procedure to handle
    this shared resource and why drivers need to interface
    through it and not touch the hardware. Bus Master
    DMA from PCI boards is an entirely different matter.
    Nobody but the driver for the board is going to muck
    with its DMA so it does not need to be protected as a
    shared resource.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.6.25.17 on an i686 machine (4786.70 BogoMips).
    My book : http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
    _

    The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to DeliveryErrors@analogic.com - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

    Thank you.

      Last update: 2008-09-19 16:53    [W:0.030 / U:88.452 seconds]