    SubjectRe: dm-ioband + bio-cgroup benchmarks
    Vivek Goyal wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 05:18:50PM +0200, Andrea Righi wrote:
    >> Vivek Goyal wrote:
    >>> Currently I have taken code from bio-cgroup to implement cgroups and to
    >>> provide functionality to associate a bio to a cgroup. I need this to be
    >>> able to queue the bio's at right node in the rb-tree and then also to be
    >>> able to take a decision when is the right time to release few requests.
    >>> Right now in crude implementation, I am working on making system boot.
    >>> Once patches are at least in little bit working shape, I will send it to you
    >>> to have a look.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Vivek
    >> I wonder... wouldn't be simpler to just use the memory controller
    >> to retrieve this information starting from struct page?
    >> I mean, following this path (in short, obviously using the appropriate
    >> interfaces for locking and referencing the different objects):
    >> cgrp = page->page_cgroup->mem_cgroup->css.cgroup
    > Andrea,
    > Ok, you are first retrieving cgroup associated page owner and then
    > retrieving repsective iothrottle state using that
    > cgroup, (cgroup_to_iothrottle). I have yet to dive deeper into cgroup

    > data structures but does it work if iothrottle and memory controller
    > are mounted on separate hierarchies?

    ehm... I've to check. I usually mount all the controllers into the same
    hierarchy. :P

    > bio-cgroup guys are also doing similar thing in the sense retrieving
    > relevant pointer through page and page_cgroup and use that to reach
    > bio_cgroup strucutre. The difference is that they don't retrieve first
    > css object of mem_cgroup instead they directly store the pointer of
    > bio_cgroup in page_cgroup (When page is being charged in memory controller).
    > While page is being charged, determine the bio_cgroup, associated with
    > the task and store this info in page->page_cgroup->bio_cgroup.
    > static inline struct bio_cgroup *bio_cgroup_from_task(struct task_struct
    > *p)
    > {
    > return container_of(task_subsys_state(p, bio_cgroup_subsys_id),
    > struct bio_cgroup, css);
    > }
    > At any later point, one can look at bio and reach respective bio_cgroup
    > by.
    > bio->page->page_cgroup->bio_cgroup.
    > Looks like now we are getting rid of page_cgroup pointer in "struct page"
    > and we shall have to change the implementation accordingly.

    Actually, only page_get_page_cgroup() implementation would change. And
    we don't have to worry about the particular implementation (hash,
    radix_tree, whatever..), in any case bio-cgroup has to simply use the
    opportune interface: page_get_page_cgroup(struct *page).

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-09-18 21:57    [W:0.041 / U:76.092 seconds]