    SubjectRe: warn: Turn the netdev timeout WARN_ON() into a WARN()
    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:39:07 -0400
    Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org> wrote:
    \

    > ACK, this fixes my objection, thanks

    ok

    > > If all the networking guys agree that the report
    > > has no value for developers because they're all unfixable hardware
    > > bugs,
    >
    > You misunderstand; reporting and tracking these issues have value,
    > but the information you are dumping (specifically the backtrace) does
    > not.

    WARN() is about a lot more than a backtrace, but point taken, see below

    > I think it would benefit Linux if our bugs announce themselves in a
    > standard way, but the backtrace is not a key part of that, and IMO
    > should be optional.

    I cannot disagree with the "the backtrace is not useful" statement for
    this case. I don't even mind making a WARN() variant that doesn't
    backtrace; I'll look into that. I don't consider it "2.6.27 urgent"
    though; a backtrace is pretty light to do for such an exceptional
    slowpath case, and the only real effect is a few lines
    in /var/log/messages that are somewhat redundant.

    visit http://www.lesswatts.org

      Last update: 2008-09-17 23:49    [W:0.028 / U:1.888 seconds]