SubjectRe: [patch 5/3] fastboot: sync the async execution before late_initcall and move level 6s (sync) first
Greg KH wrote:
>>> If it were a module then it would block in a separate thread and wouldn't
>>> hold up the main init process.
>> Right, but I want to compile all of this into the kernel.
>
> Why? It sounds like a trivial solution for you is to actually use
> modules. Why go through a lot of extra work to solve something in a
> different way that is already solved for you?
>
> Who is imposing the "no modules allowed" rule on you, and why was it
> made?

Sorry for the massively late response.

Don't know how I missed this thread earlier, but I can answer that
from my standpoint.

At Sony we have a "no modules if possible" policy to reduce kernel
footprint. The size difference for a kernel compiled with modules
vs one with external modules is about 10% IRRC.
-- Tim

Tim Bird
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Corporation of America

  Last update: 2008-09-17 00:19    [W:0.239 / U:1.192 seconds]