SubjectRe: [linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update
On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 22:51 +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
> Steven Toth wrote:
> > Markus Rechberger wrote:

> > Me. I'll port the 3200 cards and their derivatives, including the 6100
> > and the 0899. I've already said I'd do that.... but it's manu's code and
> > he retains all rights. He gets to decide first.
>

> The STB0899 based devices are much different from the crappy handicapped
> Hauppauge S2 cards and hence the API that you work upon is quite limited
> to what you see with regards to the Hauppauge (CX24116 based) cards.
>
> Even the bare specifications from Conexant point to a handicapped DVB-S2
> demodulator.
>
> Attempts to do so, will break those devices at least for most of the
> features and more yet to come. The DVB-S2 transport is a bit more
> advanced delivery system than what your API based on the CX24116
> demodulator.
>
> At least it will be great for Hauppauge as you can point to people that
> Hauppauge hardware is much better, for the marketing aspects as you have
> done in the past on IRC lists.
>
> Very good marketing strategy, Steven keep it up, you have earned more
> sales for the Hauppauge cards ...
> <claps hands>

Manu,

Though I can't read much German, after looking at the jusst.de website I
can't help but think that you as well have financial interests driving
your actions. If so, then your statements display quite a bit of
hypocrisy.

Manipulating (i.e. stalling) the timing of Multiproto being merged into
the v4l-dvb tree or kernel, for you or your employer's gain, would be
little different from the motivations you allege Steve of having.

Since the major gripe I'm reading on the list "is that multiproto has
taken too long" and since it seems to me the only thing that shook it
loose was a competing proposal, please save the venom for when you
actually have some clear moral high-ground to stand on. I don't see it
from here.

As for the technical superiority of either API proposal; that probably
just doesn't matter. I've seen policy/political decisions force
suboptimal technical solutions at work time and time again. If you
really believe you have a superior product technically; then perhaps you
should work to make it superior politically as well. Mud-slinging can't
be a good long term strategy toward that end.

Regards,
Andy

  Last update: 2008-09-14 23:19    [W:1.789 / U:0.272 seconds]