    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] dontdiff: generate from gitignore
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    >> Generate the "dontdiff" file from the .gitignore files.
    >
    > t's not quite as simple as that, though.
    >
    > The .gitignore files are fundamentally location hierarchy-aware, so a
    > ignore entry in one subdirectory only affects that subdirectory
    > (recursively), so if you flatten then, you should take that into account.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, your script will generate lots of incorrect entries
    > due to this. Eg, it will generate
    >
    > parse.[ch]
    >
    > as a dontdiff pattern, because scripts/genksyms/.gitignore has that, but
    > that means that now it will ignore parse.c in all the _other_ places,
    > where it *isn't* a generated file (ie mm/parse.c).

    Yes, that's one of the reasons that it contains "RFC" in $subject.
    There's also no handling of !pattern .gitignore lines....

    AFAIK, diff with a dontdiff file does not allow/support full pathname
    hierarchies like .gitignore does, so this is probably a futile exercise. ??

    --
    ~Randy
    Linux Plumbers Conference, 17-19 September 2008, Portland, Oregon USA

      Last update: 2008-09-12 19:45    [W:0.021 / U:59.328 seconds]