SubjectRe: ConfigFS + Target Mode Engine API discussion
On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 01:58 -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 23:38 -0700, Joel Becker wrote:

> > > Whew, good thing I asked about this case first.. :-)
> >
> > Can you give me a more complete description of what you're
> > trying to do? that way I can maybe help with some suggestions.
> >

> Sure, the process to get the things up and running would look like:
>
> # Load in the generic target's configfs infrastructure
> modprobe target_core_configfs
>
> *) $CONFIGFS/target is created with configfs_register_subsystem()
>
> *) $CONFIGFS/target/core is created as a default group under struct
> configfs_subsystem->su_group to interact with generic target mode
> engine's storage objects (eg: SCSI HCTL referenced devices, LVM UUID, MD
> UUID).

> # Load LIO-Target using function symbols from target_core_configfs
> modprobe iscsi_target_mod
>
> module_init() from iscsi_target_mod (eg: the fabric module) calls
> target_fabric_configfs_register() in target_core_configfs.ko, which is a
> small wrapper for calling sys_mkdir($CONFIGFS/target/$FABRIC) to kick
> off the struct config_group_operations->make_group() to create a struct
> config_item for /sys/kernel/config/target/iscsi (or whatever the fabric
> is called).
>
> config_item_get() is also called in target_fabric_configfs_register()
> and returns the newly allocated struct config_item to
> iscsi_target_mod.ko code to then create new struct config_groups for
> iSCSI target fabric specific abstractions and LUN mappings between
> $CONFIGFS/target/core/$STORAGE_OBJECT and Fabric dependent code. I think
> the latter would be done with symlinks between $FABRIC <-> Generic
> Target Core Storage Object.
>
> Anyways, knowing that make_group() and drop_item() will *NEVER* be
> called internally clears up alot for me. I will keep working on this
> setup and let you know if I run into any more head scratchers.
>
> Thanks again Joel!

Hi Joel,

After some more thought and a few hours of effort, I was able to get
some code up using the model above between a new target_core_configfs.ko
and iscsi_target_mod.ko (LIO-Target):

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/nab/lio-core-2.6.git;a=commit;h=1a48fb089e1ee1cff5ef02b401d365fdf206cf69

The one symbol that I required out of fs/namei.c for vfs_mkdir() that
was not available was lookup_hash(), and the symbol is exported in the
commit so that
drivers/lio-core/transport_core_configfs.c:do_configfs_rmdir() works as
expected. There is another version of do_configfs_rmdir() that uses the
exported lookup_one_len(), but that one is not working just quite yet.
Perhaps there is value in lookup_hash() being defined as
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL().

Now that the basic configfs structure between a generic engine <->
fabric is in place, the next steps will be to enable the LIO-Target and
LIO-Core IOCTLs into make_group() and drop_item() calls.

Have a look and let me know what you think.. I will ping you when the
first pieces of LIO-Target functionality are up and running..

:-)

--nab

  Last update: 2008-09-12 18:35    [W:0.036 / U:0.044 seconds]