    SubjectRe: [00/03] [RFC] USB debugging rework
    On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:57:58AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
    > Greg KH wrote:
    > > I've been annoyed for a long time that we make users go off and rebuild
    > > their kernels just to enable usb debug messages. So finally, here's the
    > > start of fixing that issue.
    >
    > Will your patches also allow to turn off the usb debugging at some point,
    > for example after system boot has been completed if the debugging was
    > only needed to analyze a boot issue?
    >
    > I noticed earlier this week that USB debugging will really flood the
    > syslog and had to rebuild my -rc2 kernel without debugging and reboot to
    > get rid of it. AFAICT with your patches only rebooting would be needed,
    > but it would be even nicer if it also could be turned off (and on?) using
    > a sysfs parameter.

    no rebooting. Just rmmod and modprobe again with the parameter set to 0,
    although a sysfs file would be nice, or maybe allowing the
    /sys/module/*/parameters/* to be writable :-)

    I think that should be done in driver core.

    --
    balbi

      Last update: 2008-08-10 01:39    [W:0.023 / U:122.868 seconds]