SubjectRe: cpufreq doesn't seem to work in Intel Q9300
Date
On Friday 08 August 2008 08:23:25 pm S K wrote:
> > Try updating the BIOS.
> > I expect your CPU is too new and the BIOS cannot export the correct freq
> > values for the specific CPU yet.
> >
> > Thomas
>
> The BIOS is already at the latest version :( Is the above comment the
> only possible reason for the issue?

It is very likely.
I did not go through the DSDT table(s) myself, but if this is true:
> According to the online ACPI spec, the BIOS should expose _PCT, _PSS and PPC
> objects if it supports multiple CPU performance states (aka P-states,
> cpufreq).  I ran your acpidump.txt through acpixtract to generate the DSDT,
> and decompiled it using iasl.  It did not contain any of _PCT, _PSS and
> _PPC.

your BIOS does not export basic CPU freq data. The only way to get cpufreq
working on latest Intel HW is through ACPI and acpi-cpufreq driver.

It may happen that above functions are somewhat hidden in SSDT tables but

Mark Langsdorf reported some acpi breakage in .27-rc1, this could also be the
reason.

That a BIOS update is needed for latest CPUs is common. I expect your machine
is rather new?

There also is a cpufreq list which moved recently, the latest one you should
post to is this one:
cpufreq@vger.kernel.org

Thomas