SubjectRe: [Patch 0/2] Renaming 'trace' to 'relay' and enhancements to 'relay'
Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> writes:

> [...]
>> Please find the patches that enhance the 'trace' infrastructure
>> (available in the -mm tree) and which introduce two new APIs
>> relay_dump() and relay_printk().
>> [...]

> I'm a bit perplexed by these trace patches
> (http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/trace-code [...]
> Is it useful? Will it be useful? [...] I haven't heard much noise
> about it and I'm struggling to justify merging it.

Right.

> Also, it's starting to look somewhat similar to ftrace, which also
> provides sort of high-bandwidth per-cpu channels into userspace for
> tracing purposes.

Perhaps ftrace ought to use this facility for its debugfs-facing bulk
data interface rather than an internal one that cannot be used by
anyone else. Perhaps lttng could use it. Systemtap could. I believe
a grand unification at this level was the idea.

- FChE