    SubjectRe: [Patch 0/2] Renaming 'trace' to 'relay' and enhancements to 'relay'
    Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> writes:

    > [...]
    >> Please find the patches that enhance the 'trace' infrastructure
    >> (available in the -mm tree) and which introduce two new APIs
    >> relay_dump() and relay_printk().
    >> [...]

    > I'm a bit perplexed by these trace patches
    > (http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/trace-code [...]
    > Is it useful? Will it be useful? [...] I haven't heard much noise
    > about it and I'm struggling to justify merging it.

    Right.

    > Also, it's starting to look somewhat similar to ftrace, which also
    > provides sort of high-bandwidth per-cpu channels into userspace for
    > tracing purposes.

    Perhaps ftrace ought to use this facility for its debugfs-facing bulk
    data interface rather than an internal one that cannot be used by
    anyone else. Perhaps lttng could use it. Systemtap could. I believe
    a grand unification at this level was the idea.

    - FChE

      Last update: 2008-08-06 17:17    [W:0.021 / U:91.648 seconds]