SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Merkey's Kernel Debugger
Date
On Wednesday 06 August 2008 01:19, jmerkey@wolfmountaingroup.com wrote:

> >> No I was not, but I am now. At any rate, I removed the Microsoft-isms
> >> from the code. I can cut yet another patch for git6, but git5 was there
> >> -- GPL2 and all. How about putting in into the kernel guys -- :-)
> >
> > Seriously? Because it doesn't seem to have had enough peer review,
> > it hasn't had widespread testing in somewhere like linux-next or
> > -mm, and we already have kgdb so you have to also explain why you
> > can't improve kgdb in the areas it trails mdb.
>
> If you go back to LKML from 2000, this debugger has been around for 10
> years. I agree not in the hands of the public, but its very mature
> in comparison to kdb or kgdb.

OK I don't doubt that at all, but I just mean in terms of being reviewed
by Linux people and how it merges with the current kernel (eg. we now
have a debugger, which was unthinkable in 2000 :)).

> > But the ideal outcome would be if you could contribute patches to
> > kgdb to the point where it is as good as mdb. It is already in the
> > tree and supported by a handful of architectures... any chance of
> > that? (I don't know kernel debugger code, so I ask as an interested
> > user)
>
> I plan to work on kdb and yes, there is a version of this that runs
> as an alternate debugger of kdb - you can even switch back and forth
> between them - but that misses the point as well.
>
> I can wait untl its more widespread -- or not.

That would be great if you do work on kgdb... But I guess I do miss
the point, then. Is there a technical difference with kgdb that cannot
be worked around, a difference of opinion with maintainers, a wish to
have mdb features at short notice?

  Last update: 2008-08-05 17:55    [W:0.252 / U:0.816 seconds]