    SubjectRe: amd64 sata_nv (massive) memory corruption
    > have EDAC turned on, or something ... I'm investigating now.
    > But this is moot -- if there is software that already exists that
    > could have reported the error to the kernel, then this software
    > should have been installed/enabled/operating by default.

    That gets you into arguments with the people who care about performance
    but its really a distribution level debate and I suspect the answer is
    itself distro specific depending on usage/

    > Personally I'm ready to pop $$$ for ECC it if will actually do
    > something for me, this has been painful.

    On a decent system ECC will do something. A modern server PC actually has
    pretty good coverage on CPU L1, L2 and optionally RAM. I/O controllers
    and disk internal caches seem to be a bit more variable which is one
    reason big HPC cluster projects often checksum end to end - when you
    produce terabytes of data all the one in a hundred billion error stats
    start to look less than reassuring.

    Alan

      Last update: 2008-08-05 14:49    [W:0.020 / U:92.800 seconds]