SubjectRe: Kernel Installer
using make -n does not work well for my purpose , because with that ,
the neat kernel compilation output is gone , and i think it is far
more work to make sense out of the entire details make -n gives .

I rather came up with this idea , though i think it is more time consuming , :

--> enter each directory recursively and parse the Makefile for the
files that would be compiled ,
--> this can be done by comparing the "CONFIG_" options which have
been enabled in .config
--> and then should also make note of the other 'objs' being compiled
for the required objects .

but all this has to be done in a way which minimises the amount of CPU
time the installer takes , because while we are running the make for
the compilation , it itself consumes a lot of CPU cyles . (CC
actually) ,........

another obstacle i have faced is recognising when the Linux image is
being built , and when the compiling enters into the second stage ,
viz , building modules ........ but knowing the total no of modules to
be compiled is simple as it is already given out by kbuild.

what i need to know , is there any method by which the total no of
files to be compiled can be computed internally in the kbuild process
itself , ......
or the second method would be to "echo" markers (basically text
messages) after each stage of the compilation which can be caught by
the installer , ... but i am sure this is not the best of the methods
to be followed , ..........

is this possible ?

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Tejun Heo <tj@kernel.org> wrote:
> Satish Eerpini wrote:
>>> Replacing the normal build output with something different doesn't make
>>> anything easier.
>>>
>>> Especially considering that your "once the .config file is set" seems to
>>> assume the user already configured the kernel himself...
>>>

>> i am not just trying to replace the output , i am not a stupid to
>> waste my weekend sitting just to replace the output :-),
>> if u are interested , u can check out the entire TODO for the app here
>> http://satish.playdrupal.com/?q=node/2
>>
>> but in the process i am stuck at deciding the no of files that will be
>> compiled , given that representing the entire compilation
>> process as a progress bar , would give a clear idea of " how much is
>> over" and "how much is left" !!!
>
> make -n makes make do a dry-run but kbuild is a pretty complex beast and
> you might have to jump through some loops to get the information you want.
>
> --
> tejun

Thanks
Satish
--
http://satish.playdrupal.com

  Last update: 2008-08-04 13:03    [W:0.994 / U:0.016 seconds]