    SubjectRe: Kernel Summit request for Discussion of future of ATA (libata) and IDE
    James Bottomley wrote:
    > Right at the moment, we have two separate subsystems for running IDE
    > type devices: driver/ide and drivers/ata. The claim I've seen is that
    > drivers/ata can do everything drivers/ide can do plus it does sata. I
    > also note that no major distribution seems to enable anything in
    > drivers/ide anymore, so given this is it time to deprecate drivers/ide?
    > A counter argument to the above is that not all drivers (particularly
    > the older ones where hw is scarce) are converted to drivers/ata, so
    > drivers/ide seems to be needed for some legacy systems (in which case it
    > can be deprecated but not removed). I've also noted that some embedded
    > distributions seem to be using drivers/ide, but I'm not really sure
    > whether this is inertia or some overriding need.
    > The proposal is to discuss the future of these two subsystems and arrive
    > at a consensus what's happening to each going forwards.

    I'm not in any rush to change the status quo as I see it: don't remove
    drivers/ide but encourage new drivers to be under libata.

    I am a bit disappointed at all the drivers/ide churn. I had hoped it
    would sit around and be a stable alternative, a fallback to libata.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-04 01:13    [W:0.021 / U:10.816 seconds]