SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] OSS Proxy using CUSE
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Most major ones do, but there are programs and games which just haven't
> fared off as well as more popular ones and thus just stopped being
> updated and then there are commercial games which won't be updated in
> any foreseeable future. There are reasons why something as brand new as
> pulse comes with something like padsp.

I have to agree with Tejun, there will always be old executables lying
around and source code that nobody will bother updating that still use
legacy interfaces.

I have a handful of programs that are still OSS only (one of them,
spectemu, being still popular enough to be in several major distros).

I could update them to alsa, but most of them I use once or twice a
year, it doesn't make sense.

In all the world there are probably thousands of such apps, and
porting each and every one to newer interfaces (if it could be done at
all) would probably be a much bigger effort then implementing a
backward compatibility layer for OSS.

Miklos

  Last update: 2008-08-29 10:13    [W:0.047 / U:0.304 seconds]