    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] OSS Proxy using CUSE

    Takashi Iwai wrote:
    > Thanks for info. Just a quick glance, CUSE looks like a good
    > abstraction for this kind of things.
    > I've been thinking that the tunneling to an OSS-emulation daemon would
    > be the best way, too, and I actually made a similar hack (not based on
    > FUSE but own kernel module).
    > It was presented in SUSE Labs conference a few years ago. And the
    > reaction by audience at that time was what Adrian showed -- why do we
    > need such a complexity at all? Well, as long as we have OSS API and
    > its applications, we should keep supporting them in a good form.
    > Anyway, my implementation at that time was too hackish and I gave up
    > soon. If it can be implemented in a generic framework like CUSE,
    > it's a good chance to merge to the upstream.
    > One thing I couldn't find in your code is the mmap support.
    > The mmap support is crucial for some apps, typically used for games.
    > Am I missing something?

    mmap is essential for some apps? Aiee... I was hoping to skip that one
    after reading strong discouragement against it in the OSS programming
    manual from 4front.

    Adding it shouldn't be too difficult. I'll give it a shot after other
    stuff settles down.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-29 12:51    [W:0.020 / U:21.472 seconds]